June 27, 2009

The best cure for a hangover

is finding cool stuff at yard sales!

Visiting friends from out of state + the debut of my husband's rock/metal band (a la Kyuss or Black Sabbath) + the first warm night in Maine in ages = a bit of a rocky start to this Saturday.

But relief was found via coffee and success at yard sales.

To wit:

Vintage Dansk enamel casseroles, to be added to the collection:



Stackable heavy metal (this time not as in Kyuss) candlesticks - Dansk I think. And red plastic serving tray - definitely Dansk.





Vintage Viewmaster Reels (including Little Black Sambo) and cool bakelite Deco Box:



Featuring cutout heads - my favorite graphic technique:



Vintage State of Maine shaped barb wire display (who knew?!)



It is stamped on the back "Amos Crouch, Chandler, Oklahoma." A little googling turns up the fact that Mr. Crouch died in 1989 at the age of 67. He was an insurance salesman. Somehow, knowing all that made me cry a little bit.

Danish Modern dollhouse:



Sadly, in the 80's, someone decided to redecorate. But isn't that always true in real life as well?

And last, but definitely not least, this week's mystery piece. A box with a face mask, featuring uber-creepy slashed rubber eyes. The holes in the back of the box make me thing that someone had this hanging in their house. ***shudder***







After this purchase my associate instituted a "No more creepy faces" buying/decorating rule, which I doubt I'll be able to obey. Sorry honey!

4 comments:

Rastromom said...

Ubercreepy'

Elsewhere Vintage said...

Great finds, Susan!!

You probably already know this, but vintage/antique barbed wire is actually very collectible!! I'd imagine that Maine wire display would do very well!

NorthStar Vintage said...

I had no idea about the barbed wire! I've just developed a bit of a fixation on handmade items that use the shape of the State of Maine as a backdrop.

lucitebox said...

That barbed wire glossary is amazing. While I love all your finds, this one is the most special to me. I have seen wood samples that are similarly framed and labeled, but never wire. Very awesome...a keeper!