August 24, 2009

Craphound

I am genetically suited for this job. My mother was a SERIOUS shopper. My father is an antiques dealer. They were both partial to keeping things. I prefer getting rid of things (and making money from them if at all possible!).

So this week we here at NSV Corporate Headquarters are getting ready for a yard sale (our third!). I have just spent a hot, dusty, head bumping hour in the attic, trying to pull out stuff to sell. Unfortunately, most of it is unsaleable, because it's all family "heirlooms." Approximately 15 boxes of family heirlooms.

Some of the things I've unearthed:

  • All my baby teeth
  • The high school graduation diploma of a relative (no idea who) from 1920.
  • The receipt for my grandmother's clothing purchases when she was visiting Paris in the 20's
  • Every card given to my mom after I was born.
  • The George Washington costume that my mother made for me in 5th grade
  • Approximately 300 Christmas ornaments
  • My mother's suitcase
  • The pamphlet from my 6th grade graduation
I am touched by my parents' devotion to saving every tiny relic of my existence and family history, clutter makes me anxious. Still, all I can do is put my baby teeth and Christmas ornaments back in the box, to hand down to some other hapless craphound.

0 comments: